Thursday, March 6, 2008

easy usage

Today during class we were asked to go and edit something on wikipedia we thought we knew a lot about. That was an interesting experience because I have never done that before and didn’t realize how easy it actually is for anyone to do that. I sure hope whoever edited the entry on cystic fibrosis knows what they’re talking about, because I just used the wikipedia entry to help me on my paper! But really, I actually read wikipedia a lot when I am bored around a computer, because it has basically everything you can think of or want to think of on it. I am amazed at how easy it is to edit, I didn’t even need to sign up or in or anything, just clicked edit and bang! Now I am actually worried about the credibility of the site. If anyone can edit whatever they want, how can we believe anything we read? Then again, I guess its kind of like trusting the news media (how can we be sure they are being honest?) So maybe wiki is ok after all, and will be looked to as a trusted source here shortly.

No comments: