Monday, February 4, 2008

Does majority always rule?

“Two heads are smarter than one”. Isn’t this a common phrase that is accepted by many? The remarkable success of group intelligence is somewhat expected. If you put a bunch of people together, one person who knows the answer can act confidently and tell everyone else what it is or display through his actions his confidence and influence the others to follow him. Or, the majority of people may actually know the answer and be correct. The Who Wants to be Millionaire example doesn’t surprise me, because if you read multiple choice questions, generally the majority will be right. I used to watch this show, and every time they did the “ask the group” lifeline, I always immediately assumed the majority was right. I can’t recall an instance that I saw where the majority was wrong. However, the majority isn’t always right. Just today I saw a news poll that said over 50% of young people think Robin Hood was real; over 50% also think Florence Nightingale was imaginary, along with King Richard the Lionhearted. Of course Robin Hood is fake, and Nightingale and King Richard were real. I guess examples like these just prove that you can’t always trust the majority. Sometimes one head may be smarter than two.

No comments: