Thursday, February 28, 2008

freedom of the blog

Today we talked about the book “Clear Blogging”, and how different types of people in society are now communicating through blogs. I think this is both good and bad. Celebrities like Mark Cuban, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and even Rosie O’ Donnell have blogs. I think they do this because they know that blogs are a great way to communicate with the public freely, and it allows them to respond to anything the tabloids or news may say about them. I think over time more celebrities will understand the power behind blogging, just like the other forms of mass media. However, I wonder about letting military personal have blogs, as we discussed today. I don’t think blogging is necessary for people that are doing classified things, even if they are done anonymously. In fact, just today we learned that Prince Harry is over fighting in Afghanistan. All of the media outlets had known this for 10 weeks, but kept it a secret for his safety. Turns out this news was broken not by the mainstream media, but by somebody’s blog! I don’t like that. I think blogs are giving too many people a voice, and allows for information that doesn’t need to be put out there. People may say that we have a right to know all information, but I don’t think so. I think things like this, and secret operations that are for the betterment of society shouldn’t be ruined by some guy with a blog.

No comments: