Friday, February 15, 2008

six degrees

The more I think about the “Six degrees” book we were informed about, the more I am amazed at the concepts. To think that we are all connected by technology and even through social life is a popular idea, yet one I never understood or believed. I had heard all about the six degrees of Kevin Bacon thing, although I wasn’t sure who he was, I thought the idea that you can connect every actor or actress to him was nutty. Even during our class discussion, when we were discussing if somehow everyone on the planet is connected and whether we could relate ourselves in someway to someone. I immediately thought to myself, “there is no way anyone in here could get to the President.” Thinking that surely this has to be the most powerful person in the land, and none of us could connect to him. Then Mrs. Strickland asked the question of if we could get something to him, and sure enough, one person spoke up and said they had the proper connections. I was floored that we could get something to the President in less than six steps!

I think the internet works in a similar way. With the right links, clicks, and what not we could be viewing anything and connecting to anyone almost. On facebook there is a group I found called six degrees of separation where they are trying to see if everyone on facebook can be linked somehow. I would say yes, we are all linked. By being a part of this group, we have all linked together for something. I think the internet is a giant web that is connecting all people, whether they use it or not. You don’t have to be computer literate to be a part of the web. Anyone can post anything about you whether you know it or not. I think one day, the internet can make it possible to link people in less than six steps.

No comments: