Monday, February 18, 2008

map theory

We have used concept maps as students as early as grade school. Well, at least I have and I'm sure you have as well. I remember teachers in elementary school having us make concept maps that would link all of the particular characters and themes in the different stories we read together. As a kid I remember liking these things and thinking that they were very helpful in linking information together. I know alot of kids thought they were annoying. I like the line in this reading that says "The learner must choose to learn meaningfully". If connecting a bunch of words together can help you recall parts of a novel, business plan, or whatever important information you need, then it is up to the learner to choose to learn. Concept maps provide clear, precise, direct information to the reader. I also agree that you must "possess prior knowledge". We only ever made concept maps after we were finished going over whatever it was we were making a map of. It doesnt make sense to link things together if you don't first have a general understanding of the idea.
The concept map works like the mind. One line in the reading is that the map is like our brain because of its complex connections of information. All parts of our brain must flow to process information to other parts of the body. The concept map shows you visually how the flow of information is connected and how parts of ideas are generally connected and not seperate intities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The idea I take from this article about concept maps is the idea that images provide us with more information than words can. In classes I take lots of notes and have arrows and circles and underlining and doodles on them. When time for a test comes, I picture my notes in my mind, knowing the info I needed for a certain question is in the circle in the upper lefthand of my notes with the lightning bolt beside it. It helps me remember the info better to have that graphic representation in my mind to access.