Tuesday, February 12, 2008

instant entertainment

Sifting through the different blogs during Aaron’s presentation in class today was exciting and a good learning tool. I was very interested in seeing all of the new blogs and if there was any way we are all connected. I came across some very interesting blogs; from one dedicated to the High School Musical kids to some that were in another language. I found this kind of difficult to see how a webpage filled with pictures of Zack Effron going to the store and combing his hair and how a page dedicated to a Venezuelan politician were connected. Then again, I guess the purpose of any web page is to inform about something. I guess we are all connected through our mediums of communication.
I find the part about being enveloped and not being able to concentrate on something one at a time very telling. I recently heard that every time you change the TV channels, your brain receives a jolt. This means that your mind is shifting from one idea to another so rapidly, that overtime your brain can become addicted to needing these shocks. This is one theory why we have so much ADD nowadays. I think the same is with the internet. Going from vastly different webpage to webpage is also probably creating shocks and satisfying our desires. I think we as a people probably are so used to instant entertainment options that we will always be stuck in this envelope of ideas.

1 comment:

Nawal said...

Wow, I never heard of the idea of getting shocks when changing the channel or webpage, but it makes so much sense. Changing channels on the tv has always been annoying to me, because it's like your mind has to catch up on the ideas of the first channel before it can focus on something completely differernt.

Because we are so addicted to this instant entertainment our generation is sort of hooked to it. Without our precious laptops we cannot live the way that we are used to, so what does this mean?

It means that in case something dramatic happens where we cannot use the internet or tv, we shouldn't allow nostalgic hobbies disappear like reading the newspaper or listening to the radio.