Friday, April 18, 2008

4/18

I think it is good to see what the other people in this class are doing for their projects. It helps give us ideas and helps us see that everyone else has questions and concerns and it seems like everyone is kind of moving at the same pace which is good to know. I think that Boyce’s idea of writing everyday is a good way to free your mind and to gather your thoughts. People used to do this in diarys or journals, but now I guess people can do the same thing on a blog like this one. I remember when people were using Xanga and most of the time were writing personal stuff about how they were feeling, usually meant to get a reaction out of someone particular or get everyone to feel good or bad for you. I always thought that was lame, so there is no way I would keep a public blog about my feelings or intimate thoughts. I saw a great example of communication distortion on South Park, where this girl was all obsessed with her “internet boyfriend” and he was obsessed with her although they never met in real life. One day they accidentally ran into each other and it was all awkward for them both, and instead of talking they said they would email each other later on. This just shows how some people use stuff like Web 2.0 as a communication crutch because they don’t know how to communicate as a person. Putting all your feelings in something inanimate isn’t going to necessarily translate into something good in the real world.

No comments: