Wednesday, April 9, 2008

politics and 2.0

I have not worked on my project today, other than browse some websites for information about working out. Today is a busy day, but in my political comm class we talked about the effects of Web 2.0 in political advertising today. It was an interesting discussion about how Web 2.0 is a new medium that has become popular in the last 4 years. Our teacher talked about how independent bloggers, such as Drudgereport, have a lot of influence because a lot of people read them and even the big news organizations pick up stories from these bloggers. (Side note: I am now noticing my Microsoft Word 2003 underlines “blog” and “bloggers” for spell check every time I type it. Shows how much things have changed in a short amount of time). The teacher told us that we couldn’t trust these sources always because everyone can do it an so on. Interestingly, generally most of the class agreed that Web 2.0 is good for politics because it allows more points of view to get out there and allows for more information with different angles. I also agree that more information is good and it is good to have freedom of speech come through in this medium.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hey, good to see that it's coming up in other classes. I would say Web 2.0 has indeed had a huge impact on politics, and that's something we've hardly even managed to talk about in class. So thanks for bringing it up!